Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I MET ANDY WARHOL Chapter I

"In the future, everybody will be world famous for 15 minutes."



Met him in the subway at Chicago Ave. & State. It was 6:30am on a Saturday morning. The train was pulling into the station as I stood and pulled my duffle bag tight. I was sipping a cup of coffee, trying to get myself together for an early morning ballet class. I peered over my cup at the uncomfortable site amongst the subway tile. I knew it was him immediately. There he stood dressed in his typical attire--a Brooks Brothers crumpled trench coat, biscuit-toed Italian leather flats & a platinum, short "Goldie Hawn" styled wig. He sported his signature scowl he developed in his later years.
 
He walked slowly to the train doors with his hands jammed hard in his pockets. As the train stopped, we were eye to eye as the doors opened. I moved my duffle bag to the side and tried to step off the train onto the platform, but he wouldn't move. It was almost as if he was searching for his prey of the day, and I was it! I hit him hard in the abdomen and he let out a small gasp. Those of you that know me well, know that I'm not civil until I've had my first cup of Joe. I'm better now, but then, not so much. Not to worry, Andy quickly regained his composure and stepped to the side. No longer did I need coffee, my adrenaline had kicked in. I exited the train and watched the other girls from my ballet class race up the stairs.
 
Instinctively I turned and look back. He stood erect and tried to regain his composure. I walked slowly over to him as he re-arranged his wig and smoothed his trench coat. "Are you okay?"I asked him. He nodded in such a sad little way, I could no longer be angry. There we stood on the train platform of the subway that smelled faintly of urine & train engines at no o'clock on a beautiful summer morning. I extended my hand to him and introduced myself. "Hi, I'm Lynne Rousseau."


An Orange Moon
2418 W. NORTH AVE Chicago,IL 60647
Monday-Closed
Tuesday 11a-6p
Wednesday 11a-6p 
Thursday 12p-7p
Friday 12p-7p
Saturday 11a-7p
Sunday 12p-5p 
312.450.9821 or 773.664.3704
RE-MIX & RE-IMAGINE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post trigger a memory? A design idea? Or just want to chime in? AOM welcomes your comment!